- Regional officials in Ethiopia say 11 people were killed in clashes in the restive Oromia region as the country continues to experience anti-government protests that at times lead to ethnic violence.
- Townspeople and farmers in the small Bavarian town of Warngau have donned traditional costumes for their annual procession in horse-drawn carriages to a local church in honor of St. Leonard, considered the patron saint of horses and livestock.
- The Latest on autonomy referendums in Italy\'s two richest regions, Lombardy and Veneto (all times local): 1:40 p.m.
- The Latest on Japan\'s parliamentary election (all times local): 8:40 p.m. Media projections indicate a disappointing showing for a new Japanese opposition party that briefly excited voters.
- A rally in Malta to honor an anti-corruption reporter killed by a car bomb is uniting many of the island nation\'s squabbling politicians with one notable exception: Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, one of her chief targets.
- The keen nose of a dog with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection discovered last week a stuffed animal in the back of a car was no play toy.
- Exit polls indicate that Japanese voters have returned Prime Minster Shinzo Abe\'s ruling coalition to power in national elections on Sunday.
- A diamond-mining town in Namibia that previously restricted visitors has opened to the public in hopes of boosting tourism and diversifying its economy.
- Using the most basic digital or smartphone camera, you can shoot thousands of photos, dump them onto a computer and then shoot thousands more. In seconds, you can edit a photo series in ways that would take days to develop in the darkroom. But our images are usually stored on our devices, often leaving duplicates to sort through.
- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is pressing Saudi Arabia and Iraq to form a united front to counter Iran\'s growing assertiveness in the Middle East.
(AP) – A Washington appeals court is blocking for now an abortion sought by a 17-year-old being held in a Texas facility for unaccompanied immigrant children. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled Friday that the government should have until the evening of Oct. 31 to release the teenager to an […]
(AP) – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he’s willing to bring bipartisan health care legislation to the floor if President Donald Trump makes clear he supports it. A proposal by two senators – Republican Lamar Alexander and Democrat Patty Murray – would extend to insurers federal payments that Trump has blocked. Trump has offered […]
(AP) – U.S. naval commanders have reiterated Washington’s “ironclad” commitment to defend South Korea against North Korean threats as an American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier visited a South Korean port following a joint naval drill. Rear Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of Naval Forces Korea, said aboard the USS Ronald Reagan on Saturday that the drills enhanced […]