(AP) – The U.S. Navy announced Saturday it has called off search and rescue efforts for a 20-year-old sailor who reportedly fell overboard earlier this week from the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
The Navy says it ended the effort at sunset Saturday after it searched more than 607 square nautical miles for more than 55 hours off the coast of Southern California. The Navy says a search started Thursday morning after a lookout spotted what appeared to be a person in the water.
Three helicopters and a boat were launched in response and one sailor was unaccounted for during a command-wide muster. The family has identified the missing sailor as Aviation Ordnanceman Airman Apprentice Ethan Goolsby of San Antonio, Texas.