TEXAS

Texas Mom Raises Awareness About Button Battery Dangers After Daughter’s Death

0

A Texas mother is trying to raise awareness about the dangers of button batteries after her 16-month-old daughter’s death. Trista Hamsmith says little Reece swallowed a button battery that she’d found inside a remote control, burning a hole in her esophagus. She needed multiple surgeries and died two months later.

Button batteries are found in common household items, like thermometers, kids’ toys and calculators. Health experts say parents should seek medical help immediately if a child swallows a button battery and honey should be given to a child on the way to an emergency room to create a barrier between the battery and tissue.

Hamsmith’s non-profit charity, Reese’s Purpose, is lobbying lawmakers to update safety standards including requiring screws for objects with button batteries.

US Stocks Move Lower, Oil Prices Pull Back After Spike

Previous article

Summer Camp Being Called A COVID Super Spreader

Next article

You may also like

More in TEXAS